Goose Hunting Forum banner

our pit

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  don835 
#1 ·
Hi
This is a pit we have on private farms. over thanksgiving week we could get a bird to look at our spread we might as well have been on the moon could hear some shooting close by. We were using about 25-30 decoys about 27 feeders 2 sentry and another 4looker. we set them up in family groups of 3-5 we trimmed down some of the grass around the pit. but not having any contrast on the ground I think is really hurting us. we have good cover and a decent spread I think. Ive killed birds out of pits with less cover than this one. We pull the grass over a bit more so you cant see the hole. From the pics ive attached any ideas how to improve our situation? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks for your time.

Attachments

#3 ·
Looked at your pictures. It's not your decoys. That pit sticks out just like 5 layout blinds would in that field if not worse. Whole purpose of pits is to eliminate the humps and shadows that layouts produce. I would cut all that extra high stuff down on and around that pit and make the pit as close to level with the ground. Make it look like nothings even there. If the blind has to be stubbled keep it low profile like its just a rough spot in field and not like a giant bush. Just my .02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.