Goose Hunting Forum banner

Layout blind ... And a rainy day :(

6K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  firstflight 
#1 ·
Any of you get out on those rainy days? I tend to shy away from the when it's raining... Have a duck blind with a roof for those days.. Wondering if you guys have any tricks of the trade for those goosey days when they are hitting those wet, sloppy days????

#2 ·
You turnin into one a them thar fair weather hunters Joe?! :shock: :stirpot: If the birds are in the air and I can get out you can bet your sweet bippy I'll be in my layout blind!! A wet face is a minor convenience to out honkers amd quackers feet up in the kill hole. That's what man invented rain gear for anyways. :mrgreen:

#3 ·
Well... Maybe a little bit.. Here in central, general rule is all ducks or all geese, in the fields... I like to hit tge ducks on a rainy day, if possible! Will lay out in a lite rain and have had box blinds to set up in the past... Do have rain wear, do like killing geese so will go, if duck is not in.. Def, will not be staying home.. Usually try to have a plan"B" for most days!!

#4 ·
The worst part for me is my glasses.
I where my waders and gortex jacket when it's threatening rain so that parts not bad but the glasses are terrible.
So I'm thinking of a half shell to shield my face from the storm wind behind me.
Even though it will limit my Vision I have to have something.
It's not very often I have shot well in a hard rain but many times I have had it storm hard and then break up for a while and during that break I have had them come in as thick as ticks on a hog.
Some of my best hunts have been right after a hard rain.

#7 ·
cut_un said:
I too wear glass and agree it is hard to keep them clean...
Yes it is! I got some of that Cat Crap lens cleaner/fog preventer from gander mt. and I gotta say it really helps! Acts almost like rain x for your glasses too.

#8 ·
Cool.. Wondering if anyone has incorporated an umbrella into a goose chair... A pair of waders and a flip top on a folding chair could be a lit more comfortable on a nasty day.. Just thinking..

#10 ·
cut_un said:
Cool.. Wondering if anyone has incorporated an umbrella into a goose chair... A pair of waders and a flip top on a folding chair could be a lit more comfortable on a nasty day.. Just thinking..
Well that's in line with what I was calling a half shell.
Something that could fold down , may be even spring loaded and pops down behind your head.

#11 ·
firstflight said:
cut_un said:
I too wear glass and agree it is hard to keep them clean...
Ever try rain x??

CUPPEDANDCOMMITED
Not on polymer lenses!!!! It WILL etch the plastic and then you're screwed.

#14 ·
I found out the hard way. Ruined a $280.00 pair of glasses when I tried it. Man was I pissed!

#16 ·
Legband1 said:
DSM16428 said:
I found out the hard way. Ruined a $280.00 pair of glasses when I tried it. Man was I pissed!
I'm surprised there was no warning on the container.
I'm sure there was...when the lable was legible. :lol: It was the same bottle I used on my truck windows for about the last 8 yrs. Lable was pretty much gone. Combine that with an epic brain fart and you end up with a nice $280.00 pair of sunlight diffusers. :rolling:

#17 ·
Now its cat crap paste or jt magik spray (paintball). Both work very well when used right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.