Goose Hunting Forum banner

The set up when you have zero wind..

9K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  bobalong 
#1 ·
What do you guys think about, factor on when you set up on those days when wind direction is not in the cards?

#6 ·
Ive noticed that on calm days you will never know how the geese will land in decoys..I like to just run a glob of decoys...if you looked from above it would be a semi-circle of decoys...this way no matter what direction the come from they will land on the outside of the decoys..and leave an open area in the center of the circle..some will dive bomb in that hole.

#10 ·
I have run a spread much like this during late season when the geese are very pressured. When there is a wind we would set up with a cross wind. Being off to the side from the direction the geese are coming from. They don't seem to see us as much off to the side. We just call it the doughnut spread.

#11 ·
cut_un said:
Great diagram buddy!! Looks like a good set up for just about any direction!
Thanks Cut, Used this setup many times when the wind wasnt what we were expecting.

11-87 said:
About how many decoys do you use to run that kind of set up deadeye?
Depends on the time of year...I usually run 2-4 dozen Big Al's with this setup...2 dozen when the flocks are smaller and 4 dozen or more later in the year...just be sure to keep them silos in all directions when there is no wind...they tend to circle a few times and you dont want you silos to vanish...I always do a quick walk around and make sure none are same angle in a direction..in the dark..there always seems to be a couple :thumbsup:

#12 ·
True on .. In the dark... Hard to get everything set up just right in low lite, head lite conditions.. How many time gas that first flock caught you out moving decoys around at first lite?? Lol

#14 ·
cut_un said:
How many time gas that first flock caught you out moving decoys around at first lite?? Lol
Not only do they catch you moving decoys...the famous lets take a leak quick before more come never seems to work...now we use that when we are wanting to see some birds...we say "Ill call some in...im taking a leak quick" and low and behold the scramble begins :lol:

#18 ·
We will use sort of an X pattern for dekes with no wind. I started using a framed willow blind this year, so we can shoot pretty will any direction out of it. If the wind comes up we can adjust the blind for best results in a few minutes. We use silo dekes, so very quick to move them to if we have to.

#19 ·
bobalong said:
We will use sort of an X pattern for dekes with no wind. I started using a framed willow blind this year, so we can shoot pretty will any direction out of it. If the wind comes up we can adjust the blind for best results in a few minutes. We use silo dekes, so very quick to move them to if we have to.
Personally do not care for an X pattern. When the birds come out, they typically come out higher on a sunny day and tend to work more vertical I have observed. I like to use a 'Donut spread' in this scenario (Just a mass of decoys with a BIG opening in the center. That way with no wind the birds can circle and circle and will just randomly drop in the hole where they can get in. With an X spread..I think those "legs" block some birds from landing or cut them off. Like I said ...just an observation personally.
Whatever works for each hunter is great though. If it isn't broke...don't fix it! :thumbsup:

#20 ·
BrokenMojo said:
bobalong said:
Personally do not care for an X pattern. When the birds come out, they typically come out higher on a sunny day and tend to work more vertical I have observed. I like to use a 'Donut spread' in this scenario (Just a mass of decoys with a BIG opening in the center. That way with no wind the birds can circle and circle and will just randomly drop in the hole where they can get in. With an X spread..I think those "legs" block some birds from landing or cut them off. Like I said ...just an observation personally.
Whatever works for each hunter is great though. If it isn't broke...don't fix it! :thumbsup:
You may be right, as the birds will sometimes finish outside the spread. If we have a situation with no wind this year, I am going to give the "donut" a try. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.