Goose Hunting Forum banner

How Big is Too Big?

6K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  BrokenMojo 
#1 ·
I have a dozen magnum shelled goose decoys w/assorted heads, I'm looking to add to the collection. It seems that's pretty much an ongoing process of buying more and more gear! Anyway how big is too big? Are these too big? I'm also looking to add more decoys to the collection but what should they be? A mix of windsocks and flags/kites?
Thanks for the any replies!

#2 ·
Well since geese only can see 2d and not 3d, size really isnt that much of a concern..ive killed geese over the monster shells...however a smaller spread with realistic decoys is the best bet imo..ive seen birds flare from too much movement..like kites and sock etc more than I have seen them flare from the volkswagon sized shells

#3 ·
You don't mention what kind of Geese your hunting. I agree with the above statement, Canada Geese do not like all the fliers, and socks. At least not where I live.

I see alot of people using the big shells, I personally like the more natural look. If storage space is an issue look into silouette type decoys for Canada's. I personally have around 5 doz full body and 3 doz shells. Works good for me, but had to buy a trailer to haul and store them

#5 ·
mericanwit said:
Gonna try and stay in and around SE PA area to hunt Canadas. Now having to buy a trailer for all the decoys just not in the budget... :shock:
Thanks for the info.
Sillos are the way to go , they take up about no space , light as all get out , And they work wonders . I can fit 7 dozen sillos ,6 blinds and guns in the back of my trailblazer. best move I ever made . You will thank yourself after you make the switch .

CUPPEDANDCOMMITED

#6 ·
I believe size does matter especially if you are not on the X. If on the X just stay hidden.

If not on the X the most important thing is to get the geeses attention, here is where the "black spot" is most effective. IMO movement and calling is secondary. Have you ever watched geese go into decoys without hunters in them? I have watched geese many times from the road with windows down, going into decoys and live birds with hardly any sounds from the live geese and of course no sounds from the decoys.

I prefer bigger decoys and larger spreads especially when I can't get on the X.

#13 ·
Fox_hunter42 said:
You don't mention what kind of Geese your hunting. I agree with the above statement, Canada Geese do not like all the fliers, and socks. At least not where I live.

I see alot of people using the big shells, I personally like the more natural look. If storage space is an issue look into silouette type decoys for Canada's. I personally have around 5 doz full body and 3 doz shells. Works good for me, but had to buy a trailer to haul and store them
Sorry not to agree with you, but I think there is a time and a place for everything. There are times when you can get away with murder, and times you can't get away with anything. It's all about having "the most cards" in your hand. Silos,Silo socks, shells, High quality full bodies, lower quality full bodies, flags, kites,..etc.

My big thing is I do not set up with the same type of decoys and same # of decoys everytime i go out. I've seen kites and flappers work, but like I said there is a time and a place for all that. :thumbsup: Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.