Goose Hunting Forum banner

Motion in yer spread??

7K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  BrokenMojo 
#1 ·
Looks like the big dogs are starting to inject motion into the goose spread in the
way of winged decoys... What are your thoughts.. Needed or not? My spread consist of silos and can add a few staked shells for a bit of motion but seems we did not get the breeze that most get.. A 9 mph wind is a lot round here.. Most morning is is even less.. Most all my hunting is made up of silos with zero motion... What say you?

#3 ·
The only thing I consider as far as wind is is there enough to line up the birds in a definitive direction and how doni need to set up from there. I agree with firstflight. Decoys (motion not really needed) and a flag. That being said, I do own and have used a "remote" flagging decoy. Its is a pull string actuated model and though it works, is a serious hassle to use in some scenarios. That said again, I would use a system like the models recently hitting the market as I do appreciate movement IN the spreaf and not at your blind, especially when you're hunting very wary birds that have been shot at.

#4 ·
Being ole school, always used a flag to get their attention and depended on my spread, callin to close the deal! As I said, we simply do not get a lot of wind at killing time ... But things chance over time, some for the better, some worse.. I know some that claim the new products can make a big difference! Just wondering what you guys thoughts are!

#5 ·
cut_un said:
Being ole school, always used a flag to get their attention and depended on my spread, callin to close the deal! As I said, we simply do not get a lot of wind at killing time ... But things chance over time, some for the better, some worse.. I know some that claim the new products can make a big difference! Just wondering what you guys thoughts are!
Yeah it just like all the new greatest latest thing to hit the market . We where killing geese back before all this fully flocked decoys , remote flagging systems ,
I went back to basics a flag and sillos and a good call. and we put birds on the ground with the best of them .

CUPPEDANDCOMMITED

#7 ·
Didn't use any motion in the decoys last year except for the flag, but not apposed to getting a few DOAs or something like that with the motion bases. Like maybe six of them. Not a lot. I did fine with just the flag. Hey Cut, I must live on the windy side of Va. We got it. :rolling:

#9 ·
firstflight said:
All you need with you're sillos is a good flag to pile up birds .

CUPPEDANDCOMMITED
+1

Try throwing a quit spit + spit back to back to back at the same time while using the flag...they will hook back and drop down like they wanted to be there the whole time! Been working on birds here all season so far!

:thumbsup:

DSM16428 said:
That being said, I do own and have used a "remote" flagging decoy. Its is a pull string actuated model and though it works, is a serious hassle to use in some scenarios.
Our group made a couple of flaggers like that Don...they work great...unless the wind is too strong...or if you have dogs retrieving birds...tangled mess..

however, they work great if the two things I mentioned above are not an issue. I found that using power pro braid 200# test fishing line seems to be the best. zero stretch and is built to last when using a stronger bungee for the bouncing effect.

#15 ·
GooseHunting said:
How do you call with one hand, as in while you are flagging?
Usually I make spit and quick spits with one hand..seems to sound better to me...although as stated above I can make the notes without any back pressure at all, so that helps..

If im with my normal group, I just call out to the flagger " Flag 'em" and make the spits at the same time :mrgreen:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.