Goose Hunting Forum banner

Goose Hunting green fields

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Team Hayslayer 
#1 ·
I just started goose hunting this year and I have about 40 acres of just plain cut grass. My buddy lives about 100 yards away from my field and he said he has been seeing them come in. Should I set up decoys and wait for them to fly over? What would be the best time to sit?

#2 ·
Those green fields are great early season when none of the other crops are harvested and late when the ground gets frozen and they can't pick corn and such off the ground. I think sense it's early a lot of birds feed most of the day but getting them off the roost would be my best guess. Scout it out and see when and where you're seeing them fly/feeding. Good luck!

#3 ·
Agree...hit em now. geese are lazy and will leave their roost after daylite.NOT like ducks which are early risers. Hiding in short grass is hard so pull up a few decoys around your layouts.... will help to hide ya! Good luck :wink:

#4 ·
Cover your layout with green raffia grass or other green natural vegetation. I'd dig down 6" and put your blind in there to lower your profile. Place your largest decoys around your blind to help further decrease your profile. Sounds like a slam dunk hunt. Found a hay field full of birds today that I'd like to do that in but the fields small and there are houses which are within our 450' safety zone rule here in Michigan. So...it's another no go sanctuary.

#5 ·
Goose hunting is very easy. We can easily target goose with shotguns, because goose are little bit lazy. So they are sit on a green field area, so easily targeted by the hunters. The hunting time of goose hunting is afternoon time, because all goose finds the grain on field area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.