Goose Hunting Forum banner

Proper Hunting Equitite???

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  johnliester 
#1 ·
Ok how would you of handled this situation, I had permission to hunt a corn stubble field close to my home, I get to the field @ 7 and setup my spread and blind, well about 8:30 a truck rolls in across the field and starts unloading, it's not a huge field, so i walk over and ask them if they have permission to hunt here as I know the owner only allows one hunter at a time, and of course they say yes, then ask if they would hunt a different field on the property, and you can guess what happened, needless to say they got a quality hunt and i got to watch there sky blasted birds fly away, I tried to call the landowner, but I didnt want to start a pissing match and lose my chance to hunt there in the future, so know I am venting

#2 ·
Dont call the land owner. Farmers don't want to be bothered by that stuff. Not saying what they did is right but I wouldn't get the farmer involved. No chance that you guys could of hunted together? I know its not ideal but better than watching other guys smash birds and your watching the sky.
Example. Last year we were setting up in a field when another truck pulled in. I went up to the truck told him I was goose hunting and he said he was going to hunt there. I asked him to join. He did, we had a great hunt and been good friends ever since. He has brought me to dif spots and I have brought him to some dif spots. Worked out for the best for both of us.

#4 ·
We had the same situation in 2004 as I knew the landowner since I was a teenager. Our group preferred not to ask the guy from Illinois to join us and went 200 yds in another part of the field,at the end of the morning we shot some but they double us on the action as they were on the X and were crack shots. and we were only in the flight path and we had set up 75 yds from the hedge bush and 150 yds from a pond.
Sorry to say but you were not on the X scouted properly, they were. I talked to the Landowner as he had mentioned he forgot to tell us and he thought we were going in the afternoon for snows.

#5 ·
Two years ago I had permission on a corn field that always had birds. It was close to a refuge. Took a "friend" who hadn't ever had much luck killing geese. We put birds in his face and he had the time of his life. Life should have been good, right? A week later we go in and start to set up. This "friend", comes driving into the field, which we never did as we don't like tracks, and set up between us and the refuge. When we asked what he was doing we got," I have permission here now too, and I'm hunting here, choke on it!" What to do? We packed up our decoys and walked around his spread of 9 decoys to the fence line. Four of us pass shot our limits as they came into the field, then held a party there.Around 1 o'clock we left but not before stopping at the landowners house. We told him what happened and he blew a fuse. He drove right out to the guys spread and ripped him good! It seems he did not have permission and had been told we were the only ones hunting it. Guy told the landowner WE said it was ok. He new better.
That guy doesn't hunt around there any more, nor is he a friend..

#6 ·
They guys I hunt with had a similar thing happen to us this year, with a person who was brought on as a guest and unknown to us started bringing in folks and guiding on one of our farms when we weren't around. Needless to say we had a discussion with the farmer who was pretty steamed about the situation and this bunch of spot poachers will not be hunting the area again. The local warden has been notified also to be on the lookout. I can't stand a mooch.

#7 ·
Some of the farmers in the area I hunt are already fed up with a lot of the hunting with no permission. When notified (which I do) they come out to the field, get the licence number and names and are charging them with trespassing. It is going to take some time for guys to get it, some never will, but trespassers are thinking twice and a some have stopped doing it, or have moved to a different area to hunt.

#8 ·
I've lost places to hunt because of people like this field I've hunted for yrs was lost this past yr a guy that I know was telling everyone he had leased the land and had dug a pit well when I talked the owner and ask to hunt some his other land he said yes and I said OK I just won't hunt that leased field needless to say farmer was surprised when I told him what had happened and because of this he has stopped letting anyone hunt his land

#9 ·
Hey I have been hunting birds a long time here's a tip. Never show a spot to a (friend) or anyone unless your willing to loose that spot . I trust nobody when it comes to duck or goose or turkey spots ever .
because I find the spots you can't see from the road ,you have to do your homework to find most of them .

CUPPEDANDCOMMITED

#10 ·
Lets not forget the "pro-staffers" who come onto public land and tell you to leave because they are hunting there. I have had that happen I have had locals tell me I could hunt a public place because I wasn't from there. Have had older gents who should know better set up 20 yards away while hunting with their grand kids. Saw them shoot ducks and leave them because "those are crap ducks". Cell phone cameras are wonderful tools against poachers like these . I use mine all the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.