Goose Hunting Forum banner

arizona goose hunting

16K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Fumbducker 
#1 ·
anybody know where in az u can hunt honkers? i see them in phx area all the time but dont know anybody that hunts them. :lol:

#7 ·
I have hunted Cibola for 30 years. The hunting is been getting progessively worse year after year.

The managment is poor. At a time when Canada goose numbers are at an all time high, the numbers are at an all time low. Cibola used to religiously get 20,000 geese year after year. Perhaps now 5,000-8,000 if lucky. You won't see that many, that is what the managment reports they see on the closed area of the refuge.

The public fields are planted with a winter rye which the geese not the grain of choice plainted on the closed areas.

The draw. I have not been drawn for 7 years. Mean while, in years past, the local hunters get drawn several times per year. Go figure! You can, however, get drawn on a walk up lottery, which is what the non-locals have to do.

The rules: If you shoot a bird that is not touching the ground, the hunt coordinator, who is not a hunter, will threaten you with not allowing you to hunt the next day. As most of us know, shooting birds on the ground raise safety issues. This is the case here being that the blinds at Cibola are placed so close together; within a few hundred yards. Once you get yelled at or peppered a few times you'll lose interest in this refuge.

We used to shoot limits of geese. Not anymore. Not in a long time!

#8 ·
Hahahaha jntwlsn what a clown! Oh it's a local spot and only locals get blind picks! Come on man!? Really?! I know I'm a lil late to this post but what a joke! By all means then if it's to hard for you to hunt it and your gunna cry bout the rules then stay out! We don't need people like you out there bi#ching and moaning bout I didnt get a good blind and I got yelled at for sky busting! When the birds were 50 yards up working some one other then your bind but what the heck they passed over us and looked in range and we don't won't to go home empty handed so let's take them boys cuz to hell with ethics and sportsman ship! So good riddens to trash like you! To the original poster of this it is a good spot and it does take some work and with that comes time in the pits a good spread not a huge one and your calling needs to be on point that's the biggest part! Hit me up in a pm if you want to give it a shot? Can't promise you birds cuz it is hunting after all but we try like hell cuz it's all we got and we don't want to see it go away!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.