Goose Hunting Forum banner

NO playing HOOKIE in the morning

11K views 24 replies 4 participants last post by  EasternFlywayWaterfowlers 
#1 ·
:evil: Don't want to hear that any of you Va boys skipped class for a morning of fowling. Sat will be here before ya know it :wink:

#5 ·
Been seeing deer every morning on the way to the lake. Saw a pretty good buck this morning. Will have to admit,had ducks on the brain but he looked pretty good to me too :wink: Va,hope you have a good day afield!

#7 ·
I got out but it was probably the worst day EVER!

Ok, here we go...myself, my cousin (11), my uncle, my uncle's friend, and his friend all went out to a spot on a lake (east of 95). Well I get up at 2:15 am to meet my uncle at his house by 2:45, I get there and there are no lights on at the house, so I drive down a little further to his shop where he keeps all his hunting stuff, no one to be found. So then I called him but his phone was dead. So I drove circles around the house until I woke them up :lol: (Gotta love them FlowMasters). Off we were to meet his friend at his house running late already. Finally we get to the lake and set up in the hot weather and rain with 2 hrs until shooting light. At shooting light, we found the boat that came in behind us set up 70 yds away...70 YARDS AWAY EAST OF 95...illegal but they didn't care and continued shooting at birds heading to our decoys. So me and my cousin ended up being the only ones not to fire even 1 shot off.

We decided after a sucky morning the evening couldn't possibly be worse right.......WRONG!

Me, my cousin and uncle get their boat ready and pull it out of the shop with the Ranger. My cousin unhooked the ball but forgot the chain and as I went to take it off he took off and almost got my hand yanked off plus the boat trailer rolled up after he stopped and dented in the back of the Ranger. Well off we go to another lake. Get halfway to the ramp and realize no lifejacket or throwable device. So we go back and get all that junk and head out again. The lake was well below normal water level and after hitting the motor on 1000 stumps on one side of the lake we decided to go to the deeper side and check some coves out over there. We got in deeper water and started going faster and all of the sudden the water goes back to 1 ft depth and we run aground at about 35 mph but luckily no one was thrown from the boat. We backed out and putted from there to the cove and got in the cove and we were running about 10 - 15 mph and ran up on a rock...A BIG ROCK. We tried reversing off the rock with no luck and finally pushed off of it after about 30 min of pivoting on top of it (Probably the closest I've ever been to flipping a boat and definitely 1 of the scariest moments of my life). So we went to crank the motor up and all that reversing and pulling the motor up and down killed the battery :cry: . So with 1 paddle between the 3 of us we paddled and paddled and paddled until we got to the nearest row of houses (not knowing whether or not the hull is cracked from the rock or not) well...we went up to some houses and no one was home at all 3 houses. :cry: :cry: :cry: So FINALLY we flagged a boat down (hadn't seen any boats all day on this lake and he said we were only the second he had seen) and he had jumper cables. Well...his jumper cables were broken....BUT he had a spare battery he let us use until we got the motor running good. So off we were to the ramp to go home when about halfway there the motor bogged down and sounded like it was going to die. It had some dirt and trash in the gas we found out but finally blew it out and we went for the ramp and made it this time but as we pull up so does the GW. She could have given my uncle a few tickets for parking and license plates but was extremely nice and let us go.

We were floating/paddling on the lake from 3:00 pm to 6:45 pm. We paddled a total of 2 miles....

Yes I know extremely long but all very very true!

#8 ·
all I can say to that is....rough, sorry to hear that. went out monday morning and saw lots of woodies thousands of geese and 4 black ducks. Unfortunately I had some trouble with those woodies and couldnt connect on any. either way it was a great way to end the early season. oh, and that afternoon I went to sit in the woods and saw 18 deer. being left handed of course the two bucks that came out 45 minutes after I sit down, come out directly on my left side at 20 yards :roll: I then had to sit and watch them eat at 50 yards from 4:35 to 5:15.... nothing until around 6 and thats when the deer started to pour out of the woods. no shots but an exciting day in the stand and also got to see two bucks sparring. first time Ive ever seen that other then on tv.

#11 ·
I got out and saw a 4 pt chasing a doe. Couldn't get a shot on her and didn't want to shoot him. Now on our first mon and tues out of schoo during hunting season I have swine flu... :evil:

#12 ·
sorry to hear that man....got out all day saturday. saw a nice 8 in the morning no shot.. afternoon i sat down. 30 minutes in the stand two huge yotes came bustin out of the woods across the field. I couldnt get any shots, didnt see anything till around 545. two does came out goin away from me. a miracle happend and they turned and bounced straight to me then at 83yds. stopped to go in the woods i bleated with my mouth to stop them and dropped the big ole doe right there. stood up to get my phone out of my backpack and three bucks and a doe walked under my tree stand. acted like nothing had happend but they were two 4's and a 6 so I wasnt ganna shoot any of them. about to go out this afternoon and hopefully i can get on here tonight and tell you I dropped a big boy. :mrgreen:

#14 ·
well well buck im home out of school with you today too..... had to have alittle surgery done today... ive been asleep all day and now finally can see straight enough to get on here and see whats up. didnt shoot anything last night but I dont care because my little brother got his first deer. I dont think ive ever seen a happier little kid. it was a good night though my uncle shot a 115lb. doe 20 minutes after my little brother shot. I was just at the wrong end of the property last night :mrgreen:

#23 ·
Did not make the trip Buck, did not get home til late last night, decided to hunt the swamp behind the house. had a couple does lined up....but looking for a man sized rack of horns

#24 ·
Sounds good. Those does must start looking tasty as the season goes on. They killed one small buck at the club today. Me and my cousin hunted together all day Fri and today and didn't see the first thing! Usually we see tons of them but we were just in the wrong spot I guess. :cry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.