Goose Hunting Forum banner

This week's expedition

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Hardcoreman 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Been an interesting last 3 wks. Had my gall bladder removed on Oct 2nd. Wondered if I'd be able to get out on my holidays starting on the 11th. I calculated that 7 days was enough to be ok for moving around as far as goose hunting went, just needed a hand with things like decoys bags/tubs and my blind. And just take it easy through the process. I could still put out and pickup dekes and do most of the things needed to be done.
So, I said to heck with it, the 11th it was, I went and met the boys at camp and went hunting. The Sat nite was the first double refusal we had ever encountered in that area.But, the birds have been concentrating all fall, you'd be lucky to find two shoots in either area. We spotted on Sun AM and shot a field Sun nite. Mediocre results, about 25 birds for 3 guys, birds were spooky. Next AM a friend further north had a shoot for us. Up at 4 and a 90min drive, birds worked mediocre again, about 35 birds that shoot, 1 short of a limit of Specks for 4 guys. Then we went back and shot the first field from Sunday again, an AM shoot this time. Birds didn't like where we set up much. Wind was non-existent. Scratched out 25 birds on 3 guys.
Wed AM, we hit a flock off the southeast reservoir, 3 guys still, 40ish birds, Snows went to a different field on us, but had a limit of Specks and a few ducks and a few snows. We didn't shoot at a lot of birds we should have shot at.
The next day, we got permission on a field we had been turned down on earlier that night, the guys that had it called the landowner and said they were not shooting that field, he called us back and told us we could have that field. We called them up to say thanks and lent them an e-caller for the favour, they were from Idaho and didn't have an e-caller. We had 4 of them. Least we could do for the favour they did us.
That field got shot with 4 guys, got 40 odd birds.
Then we shot the field that we had shot on Wed again, a bit further SE on it, maybe 200yds. Same setup, with 5 guys, shot 67 birds, unfortunately the fog that was rolling across dissipated too quick. Specks and snows worked well that AM.
Finally on Sat AM we shot a field a bit north of the Thurs field, next quarter north. Wind was our friend, cloudy. good morning. had 65 birds that AM on 5 guys.
Then we did a duck shoot on Sat nite, didn't work as well as we hoped, the ducks followed the snows out to feed. but, 21 birds for 5 guys was fun, picking drakes only.
I spent a lot of time relaxing in the blind. My hunting partners went out of their way to help when I needed it, can't thank them enough for that. Getting out there was the best way to recover I could have picked. Tuck got a lot of good experience, and a decent amount of retrieves.
Guess I'd best go clean some more birds.
oct 2014 snow  second shoot ok, not great not the birds fault.JPG

oct 2014 snow hunting 038.JPG

oct 2014 snow  third shoot, improved results.JPG

oct 2014 snow hunting 104.JPG

Here are some pics I took whilst spotting;
http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/32-40 ... ing%202014

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.