Choke Tube

Information and questions about goose hunting gear and all goose hunting supplies.

Moderators: huntguy04, DSM16428, cashman

Choke Tube

Postby mericanwit » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:59 pm

First, Happy Holidays everyone. Ok been a looonng time since I last posted, with that being said I hit pay dirt with some xmas gift cards. So, looking for a choke tube for my old 870. Strictly field hunting and mid range to close at that. A buddy is ga ga over The Carlson's extended/ported Improved cylinder choke tube. Curious to know if anyone has one and if so what are your thoughts?
As usual any/all replies are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
**Just noticed maybe this shoulda been posted in the Shooting forum huh?**
mericanwit

Re: Choke Tube

Postby archeryrob » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:40 am

I use factory chokes in my Baikal and can knock most anything dead. I use full choke on geese and Mod to IC on ducks depending on the spot. I use Kent #1's and the pattern is great in my choke

It all matters that you pattern the chokes you have and switching chokes might mean you need to switch to new ammo after repatterning your gun. I felt like you 15 years back and bought a pattern master. After patterning the choke it shot like a modified and I actually got a better pattern from my Mossberg modified choke. IMO, I would not spend money on new chokes unless your pattern paper left you feeling like you had a problem with the factory chokes, or the chokes you have are not steel safe.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
archeryrob

Re: Choke Tube

Postby wing seeker » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:37 am

Take a look at the Hevishot Waterfowl and Turkey
Choke tube options....they are super

https://shop.hevishot.com/choke-tubes.html
wing seeker

Return to Goose Hunting Gear