Goose Hunting Forum banner

Newbie...need help on calls

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  plainsman 
#1 ·
I've been searching. Need a little more advice.
To say the least, I'm probably a terrible caller. It's all new to me. With that said, I'm tired of buying 10 goose calls a year $40 and under and sounding like anything but a goose. I realize there's way more to this question, but I want to buy a few (Canada) goose calls and learn to use them...don't want the "well for a beginner, this is the best call". Don't care about price or experience using calls. I'll learn and spend the time behind the call. I also realize there's a ton a excellent calls. I only field hunt. What are a few calls that one would recommend that are as good as they get?
Live in Eastern Montana.

Thanks

#2 ·
Sounds to me like you need to either purchase Molt Gear Bad Grammar DVDs to learn the basics, or at the very least search on YouTube for Trevor Shannahan aka Freestyle outdoors and that should get you started.

Doesn't really matter what call you use when we are talking short reed. I can make a 10 polycarb short reed sound really good...maybe not be able to pull off all of the tricks as easy as I can with a 180 acrylic with broke in guts, but still they are the same call/basics..

Get your basics down and save yourself money. Practice is the key you need, and videos/tutorials are priceless for any beginner

#3 ·
the most expensive call will still let you know your calling is crap...just buy a decent mid-priced call and practice. There's tons of instructional vid on you tube and it's free.....
If you start with a long insert call, you'll find it easier to control. Grounds Promag, Winglock longneck and even Primos ****** talk are all good learning tools....but you'll keep the Promag :mrgreen:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.