9 month old pups first hunt

A place to talk about hunting dogs, hunting dog training, and hunting dog tips.

Moderator: huntguy04

9 month old pups first hunt

Postby SwanpDonkey » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:28 pm

Took my 9 month old GSP out on her first hunt after 8 months of training! She worked fantastic, couldn't be happier! 4 birds short of a limit. Even brought along an 8 week old pup that's off to Saskatchewan for a DU fundraiser auction.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Jess and Scout
SwanpDonkey

Re: 9 month old pups first hunt

Postby deadeye762 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:44 pm

Looks and sounds like a great dog from your story and looks like you had a great hunt!

Any video of the dog working?
Big Al's "Take-Em" Silhouettes- Pro-Staff
deadeye762

Postby deadeye762 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:29 am

very nice! I like the fact he held in the blind even though you were shooting..

I see a lot of dogs breaking once the blind doors open and its not a huge deal, but still shouldn't happen. Glad to see you training em right! :thumbsup:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Silhouettes- Pro-Staff
deadeye762

Postby fisherhunter460 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:52 pm

Good steady pups. I can't say I've seen GSPs in the waterfowl world before. Fine looking dogs. Wish I could get my pups to be that steady. Enjoyed the short clips!
fisherhunter460
Site Moderator

Postby SwanpDonkey » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:03 pm

My GSP's have proven to be pretty darn versatile! I used to run a Chesapeake that was a dandy of a dog, especially when it came to wounded birds and cold weather. I recieved my first GSP at the same time I had the Chesapeake from a friend that brought me one home from Russia (long story). Was pretty happy with how the GSP could handle home life as well as hunting life so it was worth the cross training from upland to waterfowl. Mind ya in Alberta come October the water gets too cold for a GSP to handle, I have no doubt they would do it for me but it wouldn't be fair of me to have them sit in a blind freezing their but's off waiting to get moving again. But field hunting in cold weather is definitely no issue. Besides if the dogs get cold, then I guess I pack up and go, not worth ruining a good hunting buddy! May venture into a wirehair one day, or maybe a lab, who knows. I
SwanpDonkey

Postby SwanpDonkey » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:06 am

Here's another from two weeks ago. Ran her on her own this time, other than having little champ there who is delayed going to his auction event and added a few extra shooters this time. Dog worked really well again, couple more solo hunts and she will be guide worthy. Tough morning of hunting though, scouted a field the day before and we were hit with a weather front. Lots of big canadas and ducks loafing in there prob 500 of each, but do to the weather I wasn't sold the next day would be solid. I set up for a claimed 15 mph wind from the east, and it turned out to be a sunny windless day and the canadas never showed up. Made for some tough shooting when the birds were coming from all angles. Nonetheless the boys killed some birds and where happy, or so they said. Dog got some practice, that's all I was worried about, so all good.
Attachments
image.jpeg
SwanpDonkey

Return to Hunting Dog Forum