Goose Hunting Forum banner

SK hunting 1st time.

9K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  SaskatoonGooseHunter 
#1 ·
Will be heading up to SK this year with a few adults to experience the wonderful land you guys have. we have farm land 1 hr straight south of Saskatoon. Was curious what you guys think of that area. I have seen that quill lakes is good, Looks like everyone goes there. We are looking to field hunt mostly. I am looking to see if this area we are at is a good starting point of if you guys have any tips on what direction to head. We would like to shoot Ducks, specks, snows etc. MIX bag would be great. Thinking about after October 4th. Any ideas please PM or message me on here. I don't look to take spots or anything. Just advice. the farm is on 15 inbetween kenaston and outlook

#3 ·
The easiest way to figure out if your targeted Canadian waterfowl area will be good to hunt at is to use Google to search for the town name you are staying in and if it is followed by a AB, SK, or MB for a province you will be able to find the coveted X. This isn't to be a smart *** and dismiss you, it is just that there are that many good areas to hunt within these provinces.

Good luck

#5 ·
Yes we have lentils planted. Should be harvested late sept. It's family land. I live in Wisconsin so I haven't had the opportunity to hunt it. I'm not worried about getting birds . Already driving 20+ hrs so not worried about driving to scout. ITs just the family up there doesn't hunt. Just farms , yes they say there is birds but my opinion of birds vs theirs is certainly different. The point of asking for help is exactly that. If u don't think I have been exhausting every resource I have your crazy to think that this is the only contact point out there. If u don't care to help no biggie. I'm not mad at you I could care less. I'm not affraid to scout. I know of some good areas up there but don't want to go to those spots, I'd Like to stay close to the family help out at the farm and get some hunting done to. So was just wondering if this area is worth the drive. If not I'll find out when I get there and I'll drive around for a few days if need be to get into the zone. And I won't be afraid to setup my 2000 deke snow spread and go all out to pull birds in a high traffic area! But I don't want to!!! :lame: I'd rather work this area and have a good time. Some of u people are so affraid to give up a direction or "yes that's a decent area" or no that area isn't worth it.. Heavens no!!!! Some of you people r hilarious trying to protect a spot that your not even going to mention what Provence it's in!! :rolling: to funny anyway best of luck if u care to help out a fellow conservationist great if not shove ur smart *** comments up your ***! The people that are helpful are the same people I pay forward when someone is stuck and needs help, needs a jump cause the battery is dead or needs a group to hunt with. That's what this sport is about but some of u people don't understand that.. So either way I'll be fine I'll shoot my share of birds cause i will bring my monster spread with me and I'll compete with the big guides. Good luck all

#12 ·
Im sure you will do just fine. I will almost guarantee there wil be birds there and you should be coming in about a week before the peak of the migration. Its been a fairly wet year so there should be enough big sloughs to roost the birds. If for some super strange reason you cant find birds take a jont west down highway 15 and you will hit the SK river.

#13 ·
An hour south of Saskatoon is going to be good also with the lentil plus the fact your family knows others to obtain permission. You have to scout hard be organized and smart as there is a lot of pressure but it has many roosts so the opps are great. I'm up there Oct 7. Places like Kindersley, Rosetown, Outlook, Davidson, Sask Landing, Lyodminster, Humbolt, Wynyard are examples of some great places to book a motel for a nice stay.
Have a good one.

#14 ·
We are staying on the farm which is nice... I appreciate the help.. thanks a bunch..

What kind of decoy spreads are you guys using..

WE have around 8 dosen snow and blue shells and 1500 silos.

4 dozen field duck and a bunch of field geese shells and full bodies...

What do u guys reccomend spread wise for this time of year?

#15 ·
Put the shells in the middle and around the binds the silos for a big blob about 40 yds long and 3 to 5 rows deep according to the swath rows space the siilos tight and the shells loose, flag when 200 yds out, have the e-caller on medium.Shoot on the first pass.

#17 ·
Put out as many silos you have however fewer silos if you are on the X. Put the Canadas not Canadians behind the blinds as the Lessors arrive just before the snows and duck decoys off to the side as they come early if you are with 1 miles or so from a roost actualy you don't need duck decoys as the spread will attract them shoot them on the first pass. Remember locating the X can be difficult usually the last two flocks landing will pinpoint the X when a whole 1/2 quarter is blanketing in white, if the snows are on a black dirt road that means the field is all eaten up and they might wander to the next field or go somewhere else. It take a couple of days to set up a good shoot. There3 has been alot of rainfall and it might be late harvest and there are many new roosts created spreading the migrators however as soon as new field is harvested they are in there like a dirty shirt if within 4 miles from a roost so scout smart and shoot well and have a good time.

#18 ·
awesome thanks for the advice.. No clue why I wrote Canadians.. must be jacked about hunting lol!

Do u guys usually try to find a nice roost or feed of SNOWS then expect ducks and specks and Canada's to be around. Obviously not hunting the roost but are u looking for a snow feed or a Canada feed etc.. Whats the best bet for a mixed bag? I know from hunting Snows in Dakotas usually u have ducks and darks coming into your spread.

#19 ·
I *think* Saskatchewan is being oversold...Just because one has access to land is no guarantee of harvesting birds. I wish you well, but you might need to lower your expectations- especially if you are relying on lentils to draw the birds in. Peas are king.

#20 ·
I only said that we had lentils planted.. Also stated that I wanted to hunt around that area close to where we are staying.. Now close means an hr drive at times is ok if the birds are there.. Im not expecting to walk out the back door and hope for a miracle.. now yes at times there is thousands on birds on the slough but not what I want to do is ruin that if they are roosting on it.. Shall see. My expectations are if you scout and find birds your success is only as good as the work put in.

#23 ·
It takes well planned smart precise timed scouting to put you some wheres on or close to the X. Sometimes there may be multiple roosts and new roosts created with the arrival of new peak migrators and the birds are hitting multiple fields and the competition is crawling all over the place you have usually a half hour to hour max to drive around and pick a field A and a field B hopefully you would have scouted in the morning after the morning shoot and a simple drive by near dusk will verify and cut the time shorter plus telling the farmer you are going to be in the area and if it is alright to give you call if birds are in your field. First of all educate yourself about the area beforehand well ahead of your arrival, then drive by the area selected have a few beers to calm down then really go to work and go to bed early to get a good rest every day.

#26 ·
well when people make dumb and smartass remarks I will say something on a forum to respond! And really lets think about it, yes I have invested This much money and time to not know about taking time to learn about scouting???? really???? Im not that naïve and I guess some people are. This whole topic was originally about finding more info about the area and some pointers.. I have hunted many places and not 1 time have upset a farmer or property owner!!! because I defend myself on a FORUM is a different thing. If u want to make a smart *** comment EXPECT one back or don't say anything... This is a place for info and sharing etc NOT MORANS banter.. But I guess a lot of people need to go that route.. No one said anything about being a pro and if u cant read I suggest mom take away your computer.

AGAIN MANY THANKS TO THE GUYS THAT POST MEANINGFUL STUFF ON HERE... WELL DONE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.