warning about policy of some goose hunting guides

Discuss Minnesota goose hunting in the land of 10,000 lakes - where they harvest more Canada geese than any other state most years.

Moderators: PJ Maguire, 7outof10, JP_hntnfsh

warning about policy of some goose hunting guides

Postby Novice123 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:04 pm

I arranged a hunt out of a pit blind with a local guide in early December of 2015. We were real excited about going. I was going with my 23 year old son and his 21 year old girlfriend. Hannah had never been goose hunting so this was a trip that I was hoping would get her interested. When we met the guide and went to the pit site, 2 of his friends showed up. The guide's two friends shot their 6 geese right away. We were having trouble getting out of the blind covers in time to shoot and seeing the geese in time to shoot as the guide had told us to keep the covers tight so we would be well hid. The guide's friends were allowed to see the geese coming while the actual customers (us) were told to hide under the covers. The guide's friends did all the calling, even though I had asked if I could do some calling. The guide's friends then proceeded to shoot our 9 geese for us. I think he should have at least moved us to closer to the guide in the pit and moved his friends to our end of the pit so that we could get a 'heads up' when the geese were getting close and given us the first shot at geese since his friends had already shot their limits. I complained but was pretty much ignored. Later, I found out that it is illegal for people to shoot someone else's limit for them after shooting their own limits already. I was $300 out for this expedition and then the guide told us to pick up our geese and take them home! When I went to work the next day, the guys at work were outraged that the guide had let his friends shoot our geese. A co-worker posted this on the guide's face book page and the guide called me right away, very upset and said he removed the post. Just a warning to other people to discuss these issues with the guide before reserving a hunt. Needless to say, we will not be using this guide again.
Novice123

Re: warning about policy of some goose hunting guides

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:51 pm

because you posted on the minnesota site, if you decide to do another guided trip try Premier Flight Guide service. Request Duane to be your guide. Tell him Kelly sent you. You wont be disappointed
Fox_hunter42

Postby tornadochaser » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:38 pm

Please post the name of the guide service. Party hunting is illegal for waterfowl and any guide service knowingly doing this needs to be put on blast. If you need some recommendations for good guide services that do it right PM me and I can refer you to some of they guys I know and have sent people to who are now repeat customers.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Fowl University
tornadochaser

Postby Novice123 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:00 pm

Guys; thanks for the feedback on the behavior of the guide. I might take you up on the offer of identifying a different guide sometime. I don't want to provide the name of the guide service as I already gave Hannah's name in the post and I don't want the guide to identify me as someone that destroyed his business.
Novice123

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:47 pm

Novice123 wrote:Guys; thanks for the feedback on the behavior of the guide. I might take you up on the offer of identifying a different guide sometime. I don't want to provide the name of the guide service as I already gave Hannah's name in the post and I don't want the guide to identify me as someone that destroyed his business.

Could you PM me the guide service? .

Last edited by tornadochaser on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowl University
tornadochaser

Postby GooseHunting » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:19 am

That's a horrible experience and "guide." Hopefully we can get the name of his business.
GooseHunting

Postby tornadochaser » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:02 pm

Novice123, I responded to your PM

Fowl University
tornadochaser

Return to Minnesota Goose Hunting