Goose Hunting Forum banner

New looking for advice

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  rjh 
#1 ·
I am from michigan and have taken a job in north dakota and would like to shoot some snows this spring. Can i use my canada goose decoys and only buy a dozen good snow goose decoys? I get that numbers matter with snow geese would be willing to purchase more canada goose decoys to increase numbers just hard to spend money on the snows when i wont have a use for them once back in michigan. any help would be appreciated thanks

#3 ·
Buying all the Canada goose decoys in the world isn't going to help one iota for shooting snows. The only ones that may come in to a dark spread would be the lost or dumb birds that are flying with Canadas. You can buy quite a few sillosocks or other wind sock dekes fairly inexpensively. Contrary to what many say and think, you don't need 2,000 decoys to shoot some birds. 100 is probably a minimum and you'll have to be right where they want. You'll have more consistent action with 300 or more, which sounds like a lot if you're used to setting up honker spreads, but it goes fast and costs about the same as a couple dozen full body honker dekes. Another tactic is to get in between a couple feeding flocks and be far enough away that shooting doesn't spook the birds, and pass shoot them. One day I got 67 by myself using this tactic and could have got more, but I ran out of shotgun shells. That was more than enough to clean anyway, but it sure was fun. I prefer hunting over decoys, but sometimes a quick pass shoot is just so much easier and can be as or more productive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.