New shotgun

Information and questions about goose hunting gear and all goose hunting supplies.

Moderators: huntguy04, DSM16428, cashman

New shotgun

Postby wild_man_jack » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:46 am

Hello, first post on here, and apologies if it's been beat to death, I'm looking to buy a nice shotgun, a gun to hand down one day and thinking about the browning bps. I want a pump, 12 ga, and I think 3" should be fine. I have a maverick 88 now. I've ruled out remington express, and the wingmaster is a little on the expensive side for me, in canada they're 1000 dollars. A bps is 800, but have a 100 dollar mail in rebate. A winchester sxp is 559 in a 3" with wood stock and can get it now for 125 off...After some research I am leaning towards the bps, when I picked it up it didn't feel as good on my shoulder as the sxp or wingmaster, like a fitment thing, but I'm sure something I could get used to, wasn't that bad just something about the winchester and wingmaster that felt more natural to me. I'm looking at wood stocks also.

Anyone have any opinions?

I also picked up a supernova but it felt more awkward than the bps (which wasn't all that bad, but the supernova I don't think is for me).
I haven't heard bad things about the sxp, and bps reviews are great, seems like an awesome gun.

My shooting is mostly pass shooting canada geese.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
wild_man_jack

Re: New shotgun

Postby Tyrel Palmer » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:53 pm

I don't have one of these but I know several people who run the Benelli Nova. I've been told that probably the two best waterfowl pumps on the market are the 870 and nova, followed probably by the BPS. I love Browning so that raises them up in my book, but I will say that my first shotgun was an 870 Express SuperMag and it was a great gun, but the two guys I used to hunt with in Juneau prior to my move (used to be guides in Montana) both used Nova's and they were great. BPS is solid as well. I think the pumps in general are on a much more level playing field across the board. But those three are probably the 3 I have heard recommended the most. So if you have ruled out the Nova and the 870, I'd say go with the BPS.
Welcome to ALASKA! Step out of your car and INTO the food chain!
Tyrel Palmer

Postby walnuts4x4 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:54 pm

Does it have to be a pump? I hunted for years with a early 90s moss 500... Still love that gun but last year I went to a stoeger m3500 and I love the gun... It's not fancy like the high end semis but I never cleaned it after the initial cleaning and it didn't have a problem at all last season or this turkey season
walnuts4x4

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:25 am

wild_man_jack wrote:...bps reviews are great, seems like an awesome gun.

The 3 1/2" BPS has been the most problematic pump through my commercial blinds, with rounds prematurely dropped onto the lifter fingers and preventing the chambered shell from being ejected being their most common, but not only, glitch.

Your Maverick is a better gun.
Rick

Postby wild_man_jack » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:25 am

Rick wrote:

The 3 1/2" BPS has been the most problematic pump through my commercial blinds, with rounds prematurely dropped onto the lifter fingers and preventing the chambered shell from being ejected being their most common, but not only, glitch.

I heard one other person saying that, maybe it's a problem that's not so common? My maverick often jams and I've cycled live rounds through that have dropped, I go to pull the trigger when I know there should be a shell in there and I find it (sometimes) on the ground somewhere.

wild_man_jack

Postby wild_man_jack » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:26 am

walnuts4x4 wrote:Does it have to be a pump? I hunted for years with a early 90s moss 500... Still love that gun but last year I went to a stoeger m3500 and I love the gun... It's not fancy like the high end semis but I never cleaned it after the initial cleaning and it didn't have a problem at all last season or this turkey season

I prefer pump, I'm not sure why, and the price point seems a little better.

wild_man_jack

Postby walnuts4x4 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:05 pm

Stoeger can be found 600-700...
walnuts4x4

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:40 pm

wild_man_jack wrote:
Rick wrote:

I heard one other person saying that, maybe it's a problem that's not so common? My maverick often jams and I've cycled live rounds through that have dropped, I go to pull the trigger when I know there should be a shell in there and I find it (sometimes) on the ground somewhere.

You know your gun better than I do, but no one has ever had a boogered Maverick on one of our hunts that I can remember, and I've been handed a mess of BPSes that either dropped live rounds or didn't want to eject spend ones (at least one of the later had been back to the shop, had a lifter finger replaced and still wanted to hang up). In its time, that Maverick was actually a pretty popular guides' gun in our area.
Rick

Postby fisherhunter460 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:57 pm

The SXP will be a fine piece for you. You say it fits better thus it is going to be better. I don't own one, but I'm sure they are a quality piece.
fisherhunter460
Site Moderator

Postby mikebig1 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:08 pm

I owned browning pumps in the past.. the cycling issue, had to do with the shell stop bars inside the receiver.. after you clean them, and put them back together.. check cycling of rounds thru it.. make sure everything works.. check timing of the shell stop bars.. I know this for a fact , on opening day , you don't want be to tearing your gun apart in the dark, watching ducks circling your decoys at first light.. it has happened to me..and it sux...lol
here they come mike,, cupped and bow'ed up get ready
Team Duck Wagon
mikebig1

Postby JantzenMoore » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:39 pm

I shoot a 870 express for geese and sxp for ducks. I enjoy shooting my sxp better...the action is tight and has a quick pump. Durable finish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JantzenMoore

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:39 am

my step son has a BPS, very easy to run into issues short stroking it, also it ejects out the bottom. Hasn't had any issues with gun when he pull the slide back all the way. I also am a browning man, but that would not be my first choice. That being said, Winchester is owned by Browning. I had a Nova, that was the flimsiest, noisiest cheap feeling gun I have ever had in my hand. The trigger was very stiff also. I have a 870 express that I use for back up gun, very satisfied. If I were buying my first choice would be SXP wood, then a 870 wood.
Fox_hunter42

Postby JantzenMoore » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:21 am

I personally like the synthetic better but...I would recommend the 3 1/2 chamber! I got the 3 and regret that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JantzenMoore

Postby jimmymuller » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:36 am

Hello guys! If any one want to purchase new shotgun, I prefer Benelli and Beretta shotguns. These both are best for hunting. I often, use these shotguns while hunting time.
jimmymuller

Return to Goose Hunting Gear