Goose Hunting Forum banner

Beginner question, when to use the call?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  ****** 
#1 ·
Hello, i'm new to goose hunting. I will be hunting Canada goose in NY. My friend has some property with a small pond on it that the geese frequent, so I plan on setting up there. I got a couple of decoys and a good call, and i've been practicing. I just have a quick question about using the call. Do you guys call even when you cannot see birds, like to attract them? Or do you only call at passing flocks? Thank you

#2 ·
Anytime the geese start to show a loss in interest to your spread, and if you get there attention back remember the notes you used to do that and repeat as required. Only call enough to keep them coming on a string to your spread. In the event they start to veer off or skirt the spread pick it up a bit, then slowly come back down.

#5 ·
Fox_hunter42 said:
calling at geese way off in the distance is pointless. Use a flag then.
tornadochaser said:
Yep, use a flag and save your lungs. Depending on wind, the sound from a goose call can be nearly in audible past 100 yards. It doesnt carry like actual geese vocalizations do.
X3 with what both of these guys said...flag em to bring them in for a look, use the call to finish them out.

Let me ask you a question though...are you hunting the X or a traffic field?

In my experience if your on the X, more than likely you wont need to use either very much as the geese are already on planning on landing in that field.

If your hunting traffic, there are many more tactics to use. Let me know which and I can add more info

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.